Icon Agency specialises in customised media and presentation training in Melbourne, Canberra, Sydney, Adelaide and Brisbane.
Our experienced media training team includes award-winning former journalists who have held executive roles in the Australian media, and high-profile broadcast positions internationally. They are backed by in-house experts in social media reputation management, PR and stakeholder relations. This combination gives Icon's media training programs a unique edge.
We understand what makes news and shapes reputations across the modern media landscape, from fronting a news conference, to presenting a webinar and giving a keynote address.
Icon Agency's media training programs offer essential insights into the rapidly changing 24/7 digital and social media news environment, ensuring our content is relevant and empowering.
- Training customised to each client's unique requirements
- Use of 'real-world' media training scenarios to prepare clients for upcoming opportunities
- Training in TV, print, radio and online interview techniques
- Handover training guide with key messages to support ongoing skill development
- Flexible model from 1:1 executive coaching to small and large group training
- Choice of short refresher, half day and full day modules
- We can manage everything - from catering, venue and attendees
All trainers bring decades of experience in media and are backed by a national network of current and former TV cameramen.
Joanne Painter - Managing Director
Joanne brings more than 25 years' experience in journalism, public relations and digital communications. Prior to founding Icon Agency with partner Chris Dodds, Joanne spent eight years with Fairfax's The Age, first as Education Reporter then as National Industrial Correspondent and Senior Business Writer.
Justin Armsden - Consultant
Justin has travelled the international media landscape for nearly 30 years. From an award-winning print reporter for News Limited, to anchor for CNN International in London and the Victorian State Bureau Chief at A Current Affair, Justin has been at the forefront of media his entire career.
Mark Forbes - Director of Reputation
Mark is a Walkley-award winning journalist and former Editor-in-Chief of The Age in Melbourne. He has also worked at Four Corners and Channel Seven, in the Federal and State parliament press galleries and as an overseas correspondent. Mark brings almost 30 years of success at the highest levels of Australian media and communications practice to media training, crisis management and strategic communications advice.
We partner with clients to drive enhanced organisational performance through customised training that protects your reputation and authority.
- Media training
- Executive presentation skills
- Public speaking
- Social media for executives
- Issues and crisis management
- Local government media training
- Employee communications
Journalists are a sceptical lot - it's their job to question everything and trust no one. One slip and your campaign, your story and your message can turn sour very quickly. But get it right and you will feel a powerful force on your side. As part of the training, we'll provide broadcast-quality equipment and a professional cameraman, plus specific scenarios based on issues or challenges facing your organisation.
- What the media is looking for
- What makes news in your sector
- Issues management
- How to build your individual leadership/business profile
- Key message development and preparing for an interview
- Best practice interview techniques
Our presentation and public speaking training program helps build your confidence and improves your performance when speaking or presenting publicly. With a focus on developing foundational presentation skills, our program is fully customised to your specific circumstances and needs.
- Preparation essentials
- Key message communication
- Best practice visual aids
- Importance of body language
- Presenting with confidence
- Presenting to camera
- Engaging your audience
- Handling difficult audiences and feedback
Social media training
Organisations can use social media for countless reasons - to educate and engage with target audiences, raise brand awareness, provide customer support and more. But it's not enough for brands and organisations to just be present online. Truly understanding how to get the most out of social and digital platforms is the difference between checking the boxes and reaching your communication and business objectives.
- Social media strategies
- Local and global best practices
- Platforms snapshot
- Scheduling and management tools
- Content planning
- Community management
- Response guidelines
- Avoiding pitfalls
- Metrics and goals
Who's the training for?
Icon works with a wide range of organisations, from local government to major health organisations and government departments.
Training is beneficial for any public facing employee, from the highest level of Executive down to social media managers and moderators.
We predominately work with:
- CEOs, CFOs and MDs
- Business Executives
- Senior leadership staff
- Entrepreneurs and business owners
- PR employees
- Marketing employees
“The depth and breadth of experience of Icon’s media team is impressive. Their insights and understanding of the media landscape have been invaluable.”
Katherine Kaspar, CEO of Kinetic Super